Thursday, October 22, 2009

Facing Reality -- and learning to cope with a diagnosis of Diabetes

14 months ago, I learned that I have diabetes. I have spent the last year alternately trying like mad to get it under control and pretending that I can eat like I didn't "really" have this disease. Today, I went to a diabetes management class, and I am hopeful that I will "get it together" and be able to say that I am a lot healthier in 14 months from now.




I find it very scary to have diabetes-- both parents had it and both really died from complications from it, my mother at only 60 years old. She was legally blind by the time she died, and could no longer do any of the things she really loved to do- sewing, crafts, even reading was not possible for her anymore. I am going to be 60 years old in six months. I am petrified... I expect that I will reach the age of 61 and feel a lot better, but this next year just feels like I am following in Mom's footsteps (once I was diagnosed with Diabetes last year that is.) So my challenge is: to keep my blood sugars under control, and to lose weight. My goal is for there to be a whole lot less of me by next fall. Watch this space for updates! 

1 comment:

Corrie said...

good luck!!!!! try not to think about 60 then! We have diabetes in our family and I lost my pop at a young age too.

love the pic of your mum!

corrie:)